Using Visual Representations or Models in Teaching Fractions to ABE Students
Presentation Date: 5/25/2016
The fractions domain is one of the most problematic domains in teaching ABE students. This webinar will focus on teaching fractions in a more concrete or illustrative method, which will help students have a better grasp of the concept of fractions. Teachers will be introduced to online resources that will support this instructional strategy geared towards struggling adult learners. Teachers will explore the progression of concepts and skills involving fractions and gain ideas on how to develop these concepts through lesson plans and/or classroom activities that are aligned with the College and Career Readiness Standards for ABE Mathematics.
- Why adult students struggle with fractions?
- Why do adult students have to learn fractions?
- MP.4: Model with Mathematics
- How will this mathematical practice help struggling learners?
- Resources: Illustrative Mathematics Project
- Demonstrations, Lessons and Activities
- Progressions in Teaching Fractions